Heart attack is the popular term for sudden pain in chest with breathing difficulty arising out of certain heart conditions. Heart attacks can be suddenly fatal, but the great majority- an estimated 85 percent are not. The patient recovers under proper treatment and goes on to live many useful years.
Heart Attack Symptoms :
There are some early symptoms, which may be important to watch for. Their appearance calls for a visit to the doctor for a check up at specialized health care centers. The symptoms are:
- Dizzy spell or fainting fits
- Discomfort following meals, especially if long continued.
- Shortness of breath, after slight exertion.
- Fatigue with out otherwise explained origin.
- Pain or tightness in the chest a common sign of coronary insufficiency is usually constrictive in nature and is located behind the chest bone with radiation into the arms or a sense of numbness or a severe pain in the center of the chest
Preventing a second heart attack:
The best chances of preventing a second heart attack come from a combination of medications and change of diet and lifestyle and regular check-ups from specialized health service providers:
Drugs: Aspirin and beta blockers(drugs like Tenormin), have been shown to reduce chances of a second heart attack and improve future survival.
Diet: reducing weight and dietary fat.
Lifestyle: Stopping smoking, , controlling blood pressure and diabetes, and a reduction of serum cholesterol, along with regular, carefully prescribed exercise can all improve the quality of life and longevity after a heart attack.